To complete the Superintendent Certification, students must be fully admitted to the PK-12 Educational Leadership Ed.D. or Ph.D. program. The department does not offer a “certification only” option at this time.
It is the responsibility of the individual to submit all required documentation to the academic advising office in order to be recommended for certification.
Please note: In order to be eligible for superintendent certification, a candidate must possess a Principal Certificate.
A 3 credit hour professional internship (EDAD 684) is required to complete the Superintendent Certification by the State Board of Educator Certification (SBEC) of the State of Texas.
Students are expected to be within the last 12 hours of their certification program before registering for the internship in order to fully benefit from the experiences.
- You must have the agreement of a certified mentor in the area in which you are seeking certification.
- Your mentor does not have to be working as a principal or superintendent, but must be certified. For example, an associate superintendent or assistant principal could be certified but not serving as the superintendent of a district or principal of a building.
- Your mentor should have the ability to involve you in activities in the area in which you are seeking certification; i.e. meetings, trainings, etc.
- This is a 100% online course. You will be expected to log-in on a regular basis.
- You will be required to complete written activities centered around the SBEC standards for certification in the area they are requesting.
- You must log 160 hours of activities addressing the SBEC Standards.
- You must keep a weekly journal of his or her learnings online.
- You must complete a major project and 2 minor projects in agreement with your mentor and university supervisor.
Requirements for Completion
Upon successful completion of all required coursework for superintendent certification, you must:
- Complete the SBEC online certification application.
- Submit a copy of your teacher certificate.
- Submit a copy of your teaching record showing at least two years full-time teaching
- Complete the School of Education and Human Development Certification Requirements. Contact Melissa Kuhlmann for details and indicate date of completing SBEC online application.
- It is the responsibility of the individual to submit all required documentation to the EAHR Department in order to be recommended for certification.
All information must be submitted to the Administrative Coordinator, Melissa Kuhlmann. The application packet will be forwarded to the SEHD Certification Coordinator and you will be notified by email from SBEC when your certificate has been approved.