To complete the Superintendent Certification, students must be fully admitted to the Public School Administration Ed.D. or Ph.D. program. The department does not offer a “certification only” option at this time.
It is the responsibility of the individual to submit all required documentation to the academic advising office in order to be recommended for certification.
A 3 credit hour professional internship (EDAD 684) is required to complete the Principal Certification. This course is required for certification as a school principal or superintendent by the State Board of Educator Certification (SBEC) of the State of Texas. Students are expected to be within the last 12 hours of their certification program before registering for the internship in order to fully benefit from the experiences.
- You must have the agreement of a mentor who has certification in the area in which you are seeking certification who is willing to support your learning.
- Your mentor does not have to be working as a principal or superintendent but must have the certification. For example, an associate superintendent or assistant principal could be certified but not serving as the superintendent of a district or principal of a building.
- Your mentor should have the ability to involve you in activities in the area in which you are seeking certification, i.e. meetings, trainings, etc.
- This course is managed online. You will be expected to log-in on a regular basis.
- The intern is required to complete written activities centered around the SBEC standards for certification in the area they are requesting.
- The intern must log 144 hours of activities addressing the SBEC Standards.
- The intern must keep a weekly journal of his or her learnings online.
- The intern must complete a major project and 2 minor projects mutually agreed upon by the intern, the mentor, and the university supervisor.
Requirements for Completion
Upon successful completion of all required coursework for superintendent certification, the student must:
- Complete the SBEC online certification application;
- Submit copy of TExES scores;
- Complete the College of Education and Human Development Certification Office form (request form from Kerri Smith; email@example.com);
- Indicate date of completing SBEC online application to academic advising office
All information must be submitted to Kerri Smith, firstname.lastname@example.org in the Academic Advising Office. The application packet will be forwarded to the CEHD Certification Coordinator and you will be notified by email from SBEC when your certificate has been approved.