Get your Principal Certification
To complete the Principal Certification, students must be fully admitted to the PK-12 Educational Administration Master’s Program. The department does not offer a “certification only” option at this time.
The Principal Certification consists of 36 hours of formal coursework and 3 credit hours of professional internship over two semesters. All requirements for the program are approved by the State of Texas.
To be eligible for Principal Certification, students must meet the following requirements by the end of the program:
- Have a valid Texas teacher certificate.
- Hold a master’s degree.
- Have a minimum of two years creditable classroom teaching experience by the end of the program.
- Complete the approved courses designed for meeting the requirements of certification with this department.
- Successfully pass the TExES exams (268 and 368 PASL). In accordance with newly revised requirements from the Texas Education Agency (TEA), All candidates will need to pass the new TExES Principal (268) and pass the Performance Assessment for School Leaders (PASL) to obtain a standard principal certification.
It is the responsibility of the individual to submit all required documentation to the EAHR Department in order to be recommended for certification.
Advanced Educational Leadership
The course material for Advanced Educational Leadership (AEL) must contain 18 hours of face-to-face instruction. In order to accommodate our online students, we will offer these 18 hours of instruction either as a mini-mester format or over a weekend. An alternative option would be to obtain their AEL certification through a Regional Education Service Center and provide documentation of completion to the department.
A 3 credit-hour professional internship (EDAD 684) is required to complete the Principal Certification by the State Board of Educator Certification (SBEC) of the State of Texas.
Students are expected to be within the last 12 hours of their certification program before registering for the internship in order to fully benefit from the experiences.
Requirements for Completion
Upon successful completion of all requirements (coursework, internship and TExES exams), you must:
- Complete the SBEC online certification application.
- Submit a copy of your teacher certificate.
- Submit a copy of your teaching record showing at least two years full-time teaching
- Submit copy of your TExES scores (268 and 268 PASL).
- Complete the School of Education and Human Development Certification Requirements. Contact Melissa Kuhlmann for details and indicate date of completing SBEC online application.
- It is the responsibility of the individual to submit all required documentation to the EAHR Department in order to be recommended for certification.
All information must be submitted to the Administrative Coordinator, Melissa Kuhlmann. The application packet will be forwarded to the SEHD Certification Coordinator and you will be notified by email from SBEC when your certificate has been approved.